1990 Dodge Colt hard start cold / surges

DHM1
  • 1990 DODGE COLT
My 1990 dodge colt, 1.5 (mitsubishi), first start in the morning (cold), will turn over and fire, but will not run, when I keep trying over and over around 15 times it will start and idle at 400 rpms for a few seconds then die, it does this around 10 times, idling longer each time, finely the rpms will pick up to 6or 700 rpms and idle, but if I try to accelerate it dies, if I let it idle for around 5 min. It will accelerate and run fine all day, untill next morning, then the same thing. It also surges or bucks on the road
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 10:06 AM

MERLIN2021
IDLE SPEED & IGNITION TIMING 1. Ensure vehicle is at operating temperature, all accessories are off and transmission is in Park or Neutral. Vehicle front wheels must be in straight-ahead position and curb idle speed set to specification. If vehicle is equipped with a dual diaphragm distributor, go to next step. If vehicle is equipped with an ignition timing adjustment connector, go to step 3). 2. Disconnect vacuum hose farthest from distributor. Plug vacuum hose. Check ignition basic timing. Connect vacuum hose to distributor. Check ignition actual timing. Refer to IGNITION TIMING table in this article. 3. Ground ignition timing adjustment connector. Timing adjustment connector is a Yellow/Red wire at left of center, on firewall. Check ignition basic timing. 4. Disconnect ground wire on ignition timing adjustment connector. Check ignition actual timing. Refer to IGNITION TIMING table.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_colt_1.jpg

Also check/replace coolant temperature sensor, shown here.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_colta_1.jpg

+1
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 11:59 AM
DHM1
Your site sucks, your mechanics obviously don't have an answer so they fluf it off with "i'm not with the vehicle, so I can't give you a definiitive answer" the answer that was given was so shallow it was no help at all, it appears you are more interested in more fees & selling repair manuals than automobile problems! After running in circles through your site for an hour & 1/2 I wouldn't own a mitchel manual if you gave it awaythanks for nuthin'
-1
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 9:17 AM
MERLIN2021
Gee no info in this answer huh? And where did I say anything about not being with the vehicle? Which website do you work for?
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 9:50 AM
THATMITSUGUY
@DHM1 -Are you serious? Those were great starting points to diagnose the problem. For anyone else searching this. Try a known good working ECU. The capacitors are known to leak and damage the mother board. I had the same problem and a new ECU fixed it.
Tuesday, October 18th, 2016 AT 4:21 PM