SULFER SMELL/ROTTEN EGG SMELL

• primo
  • Dodge Caravan

I own a 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport (3.3L V6: 83,340 mls) that frequently emits the rotten egg smell. I've had a complete tune up, new maf sensor, replaced both o2 sensors and catalytic converter. With a tank of gas, I get an average of 15mpg. The Dodge dealership tells me, according to computer vehicle analysis, that my vehicle is running according to specs. I don't believe them. I've tried different major brands of gasoline, but the smell continues, every trip. What is wrong, what should I check next?Injectors were also cleaned.

Friday, December 15th, 2006 AT 11:47 AM

• stratus98

Hello, usually the rotten egg smell is caused by a catalytic converter, since you have replaced that. I would look over your undercarriage for road kill.

Sunday, December 17th, 2006 AT 8:24 AM
  • jerseycougar

Invest probably around $8.00 for catalyptic converter cleaner, one that guarentees passing emissions test, will remove coating obviously from bad gas from convertor and should make smell that of new car! Also check muffler and cat for possiblility of plastic bag blown onto one of mentioned and melting on body of same while you were driving! Dump gas line anti freeze in gas in case of stale gas!

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007 AT 12:36 PM