Can a battry going bad while driving shut off the engine

ACOP
  • DODGE CARAVAN
That is what the car dealer told me. Yesterday, my hasband went to do an oil change. It was about noon. He picked up the van (2001 Dodge Caravan) and drove is maybe for 25 miles. Than later at night about 7:00pm while he was going to work the van started shaking, the oil light control lighted up and the engine got shut off. He tried to start it back up but it wouldn't. He put the van on the emergance lights (by the way it was 15 F outside) and waited for about 1h for me to came with the jumper cable. We tried to give it a jump start but it wouldn't start either. The engine was trying to turn but it wouldn't start. Finally, we decided to tow it to the dealer (the same one that changed the oil earlier that day). The next moring the dealer call me and said that the only reason the car won't start is the bad battery. I said I know the battery beacue the van was on the emergancy lights in the cold for over 1 hour and it probably deained it out. He said that he will put a new battery and check if everything is OK. Later when I came there, he said that the battery went bad while my husband was driving the van and so it casued the engine to shut off. Is it passible? I thought that main purpose of the battery is to start the engine from cold and after that the alternator it taking over. Is there a computer build into the engine that runs of off the battery all the time and when the battery is bad it shuts off the engine?

Please hlep me because I spent over $200 and I think that the reason the engine got shut off was beacue of the bad oil change and now the deale will not admit to it.

Aneta Cop

North Aurora IL
Thursday, December 7th, 2006 AT 11:45 AM

CARUNDELL

Hey aneta,
The cold weather really reeks havoc with batteries! A battery that works fine in spring, summer and fall can totally fail when temps get that low! As to the "bad oil change", if in fact the oil change was done improperly you would be experiencing some totally different symptoms and you would be allot worse off. As to the price, it looks to me that the dealer charged you accordingly, dealerships are typically more expensive that your local shops. Hope this clears up you questions!

Regards,

Chris

P.S. Everything electrical on your vehicle is powered off the battery and the alternator keeps the battery charged up
Thursday, December 7th, 2006 AT 11:58 AM
BOOTDOG
Look at your volt gauge also. The alternator should be charging 14.5 volts in order to keep the battery charged. You can take the vehicle to advanced auto parts store to see if the charging system is good. If not, get the alternator changed. The symptoms you describe sounds like an alternator not charging. Hope this helps. Let us know :D
Thursday, December 7th, 2006 AT 8:00 PM