'91 Dodge Caravan stalling problems

NOTGOINGANYWHERE
  • 1991 DODGE CARAVAN
Van started to feel like it was going to stall while driving originally, then the maintenance light came on.
Then the stalling actually occured either immediately after starting the engine, or stopped at an intersection, or slowing down to making a turn.
We then brought it into the repair shop for a major tune up. This had actually made the problem worse.

Now, the car would start, and then stall after a few minutes of driving. Restarting the engine has gotten harder and harder. The final episode occurred when I was driving at a speed of around 60km/hr, the car just started decelerating by itself, and then when it reached around 40 km/hr, it was back to normal.

It would stall again the next few minutes, and I had to wait about 5 minutes before I could get it going again, and then I was able to drive for about 20 minutes to get home without any problems.

This morning, I could not start the car at all. It needed to be towed back to the shop at the shop's expense, and they told me that the 'distributor' cap was loose! And then later called me that I had to change the fuel pump. This was after the fact that I had already spent 600 plus dollars on a tune up. The fuel pump would cost me another 700 dollars to replace! Is this where the problem lies? Could the problem be with something really minor that has been overlooked?
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 7:03 PM

Could be the ASD relay, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump and last the PCM.
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 8:47 PM
NOTGOINGANYWHERE
So we replaced the fuel pump, and it still will not start. So now we are thinking it is the electrical problem. How should we start diagnosing the problem? Is there a step by step guide with diagrams so we won't mess things up?

Friday, April 27th, 2007 AT 11:46 AM
Turn key to On-do you hear the fuel pump humming/buzzing for a few secs. If not its an electrical problem.

Remember the computer energizes a relay-maybe an ASD relay if it has one or fuel pump relay before it gets to the pump.

Could be an ignition control module, coil, or crankshaft position sensor.
Friday, April 27th, 2007 AT 3:37 PM
NOTGOINGANYWHERE
So the car ran fine for a few days, and today it acted up again. It stalled, and I haven't been able to start it. I will try again later.

In response to your question, yes, I can hear the humming noise from the feul pump when I turn the key to ON. This is very consistent after we changed the fuel pump. Before we did this, sometimes we could hear the humming, sometimes not.

So you don't think it is an electrical problem?
Thursday, May 3rd, 2007 AT 12:47 PM
BELIZEAN
Check your fuel Filter in the tank
Sunday, May 13th, 2007 AT 2:22 PM
NOTGOINGANYWHERE
So we fixed the problem
not the fuel pump, not the oxygen sensor

IT WAS THE PHOTO OPTIC SENSOR.
Monday, May 14th, 2007 AT 1:31 PM