2003 Dodge Caravan Stalling when first started or re-starti

TADAM74811
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
My 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.3 engine stalls when first started unless you hold the gas pedal part way down and wait about 1 minute. It will also do this, and /or hesitate on initial accelleration when restarting after it has been parked a while. It all clears up after a minute, and the car runs great at rpms above idle. The engine does occasionally seem to misfire (sounds like it is going to stall) when idling at a traffic light with a warm engine. There are no codes, and I have had it to 3 mechanics including the dealer, and they can't figure it out. The upstream O2 sensor, and MAT and fuel pump and filter have been replaced. Fuel system cleaner seems to cause a small improvement and the 3M fuel system cleaner kit also seemed to help for a while.
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 6:55 AM

Has the idle air control motor been checked or cleaned?
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 7:19 AM
TADAM74811
That was it. Pulled out the Idle air valve, and the valve was stuck tight. Cleaned it and it moves freely. Put it back in, and the trouble that 4 mechanics couldn't find is gone!
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 2:08 PM
Great. I'm glad to hear you got it fixed. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Take care,

Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 8:27 PM
I just saw the positive feedback. Thanks! It's appreciated.
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 8:28 PM