2003 Dodge Caravan Car overheated; still overheats after co

MILLMORT
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
  • AWD
I had my oil changed five days ago and supposedly all fluids were checked. Five days later, car ran very hot on one occasion, almost to the red, and thermostat light came on for a minute or so. Car ran in this mode only once, for about 15 minutes. When I checked the coolant receptacle at home, it was empty. I refilled it with premixed coolant, and let the car sit overnight. The next morning, the coolant level was still at full. I ran the car for about 20 minutes, both in town and on a highway at 60. The thermostat went to the middle almost immediately, but edged up once or twice when I accellerated. I booked the car into a reliable local mechanic. I want to have an idea of what might be wrong before I bring it it. The car is in good condition, and I would like to keep it for another ten to twenty thousand miles if I can.
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 10:14 AM

It could be a few things. First, did the coolant level drop again? Keep in mind, if you filled the overflow, that may not have been enough to refill the radiator. The radiator will draw the coolant in as needed. Also, have you ever had the cooling system flushed or the thermostat replaced? Finally, has there been any coolant on the ground where you park the car?
Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 12:04 AM