2003 DODGE CARAVAN BLOWER WORKS, NO HEAT

• knltgsr7
  • 2003 Dodge Caravan

Heater problem
2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

History: 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan, 120k+ miles, Car has (since the beginning of the winter) been taking a long time to heat up. It does not heat well when idle. Normally I use antifreeze (no water added) in winter, I added in about 3 cups of antifreeze w/water mix in radiator (because its all I had) and I believed the level was low and w/no heat.
About a week later when starting the engine, I heard high pitch whine. I noticed that the blower was not blowing out heat, and engine temp spiked to High. I added almost a full container of antifreeze (no water). The engine temp still spiked to hot (lite on) and then when going slow or idling went back to 1/2. I turned off the blower and engine heat spiked again. Now engine heat at 1/2 (normal) at all times.

Problem: When I turn on the blower in car for heat, fan works fine, (sometimes it whines), the heat come out full blast but it only lasts for about 15 seconds, then nothing but cold air comes out.

Thursday, March 13th, 2008 AT 12:26 PM

• rasmataz

For a start try replacing the thermostat if it continues-start looking into the air mix/blend/mode doors-could also be an actuator/vacuum / the HVAC control module.

Thursday, March 13th, 2008 AT 12:38 PM
  • knltgsr7

Where do I find the thermostat on the car? Why would it blast out hot air when the power is turned on and then 15 seconds later turn to cold?

Thursday, March 13th, 2008 AT 2:31 PM
  • rasmataz

Drain about 1 gal of antifreeze from radiator Follow top radiator hose to the thermostat housing at engine Remove housing and observe how thermostat is installed in housing Clean housing and engine where it mounts

Replace thermostat and gasket Tighten bolts on housing securely and evenly Refill radiator slowly to prevent an "air lock" Start vehicle and check for leaks Run to normal operating temperature and re-check coolant level

Also check the other items I've mentioned-

Thursday, March 13th, 2008 AT 4:21 PM