Hard downshift

LEO MERCIER
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
I serviced my transmission, now on decel I get a hard downshift. Used Valvoline ATF4
Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 12:30 PM

BILLYMAC
Hi billymac here. well there is really not anything that servicing the trans can cause.however here is a thought a lot of times when a trans is going bad the dirty fluid and worn fiber parts work as a replacement for clutch disc.and when you change the fluid then the disc will start to slip this is called washing,,was there metal in the pan when you changed the oil? another possibility is output sensor and input sensors or even trans computer.the computer has the capability of adjusting harsh shift patterns if this is the case driving it for a few days will solve the prob.
Has the check engine light come on?
It calls for Mopar ATF 4 so I would imagine the Valvoline you used would be an acceptable fluid, is the level correct?

Read the guide below, it might help you figure out whats going on

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

hope this helps billymac

Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM
5BOOTS
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
Went and got the codes for this, they are

P0605
P0700
P0845

The RPMs just keep going up and it will not shift at all. Wondering what the problem is. Thanks.
Sunday, February 24th, 2019 AT 8:32 AM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
DTC P0605 INTERNAL TRANS CONTROLLER

DTCs will set if an internal TCM malfunction occurs.
Possible Cause
Internal TCM failure.

DTC P0700: EATX CONTROLLER DTC PRESENT
Monitored & Set Conditions
Electronic Automatic Transaxle (EATX) controller is monitored for DTCs when ignition is on and engine is running. EATX controller may also be referred to as Transmission Control Module (TCM). DTC will set in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) memory if any DTC is set in the TCM memory. Possible cause for DTC to set is: TCM DTC is present in PCM.
Testing
Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, read DTCs. If DTC P0700: EATX CONTROLLER DTC PRESENT is set, this DTC indicates a transmission DTC has previously been set. A DTC may not currently be present in TCM if a transmission repair was performed. If after reading transmission DTCs there are no DTCs in TCM, this DTC may be erased from PCM.

DTC P0845: 2-4 HYDRAULIC PRESSURE SWITCH CIRCUIT
Circuit Description
DTC P0845 will set if an error occurs in 2-4 pressure switch. TCM momentarily turns on element pressure to 2-4 clutch circuit to identify that pressure switch closes. If switch does not close after first test, switch is tested again. If switch does not close on second test, DTC will set. MIL illuminates and transmission system defaults to limp-in mode.
Possible Cause
Low battery voltage.
DTC P0944 (Loss Of Prime) set.
Transmission control relay output circuit open.
Low transmission fluid level.
2-4 pressure switch sense circuit short to ground.
2-4 pressure switch sense circuit short to voltage.
2-4 pressure switch sense circuit open.
2-4 solenoid failure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic9_34.jpg

DSIMMERS
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
I recently changed trans filter as routine maintance. Most of time now when coming to stop it downshifts and not smooth. What could be causing this as a result of filter change. Fluid is at proper level.
Sunday, February 24th, 2019 AT 8:33 AM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Was the correct tranny fluid used
if not drain and refill
try and adjust the band

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_227.jpg

SNTHARRIS
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
2002 Dodge Caravan

2002- Caravan 113,000miles. I was driving down the road, slowly accelerating from the stoplight, and at around 35mph, while pushing the accelerator, the van wouldn't shift up nor would it accelerate. So, I maintained the speed of 35mph and made it to my destination. Since then, the van cannot be driven at speeds more than 35-40 mph. Does this mean my transmission is shot? Is it still safe to drive?
IS the trans shifting?
SNTHARRIS
The transmission isn't shifting out of 2nd gear.
Your trans is in what is called "safe mode". What happens is the computer has recognized a problem. To avoid further damage and to get you home or to a dealer, it will stay in that gear.

What needs to be done is the computer needs to be scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. Chances are there is a bad sensor or shift solenoid that is causing the problem. It could also be something as simple as a broken or shorted wire.

If the trans was working good and this happened all at once, chances are the trans is fine. Something electrical is most likely causing the problem.

Have it scanned and let me know what you find.

SNTHARRIS
The mechanic said that it was an electrical problem which caused the transmission fluid to not be pumped through the transmission. This caused the inside to get stripped out? He said he could get rebuilt 'inside' parts and reuse the outer part and it's going to cost 1600? I have nothing to compare with! Does this sound right? I know what it feels like when a tranny is slipping and this van showed no signs of that at all!
BOB ELLIOTT
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L with 200K miles. The transmission has 140K miles. I changed the filter and fluid about 30K miles ago. The problem I am having is the van will not shift up in forward gears. I believe the fluid got hot before this occured. You can drive the van about 500ft and the transmission pulls down and struggles to move forward. I think the fluid can't flow to shift. When this happens I can put the shift lever in reverse and drive forward with ease but no shifting of gears. I put a code reader on the van & here are the codes po740 and a po500. What do you think the problem is and how or what will fix it? Thank You for your help. Bob wesandwil@hotmail. Com
I have to be honest, you lost me on that one. Nothing electric pumps fluid through the transmission. And what is stripped?

This is only my opinion and I am not there, but I would recommend another opinion because what you mentioned makes no sense to me.

Let me know.
WRENCHTECH
You have a Vehicle Speed sensor code that can dramatically effect your shift points so that definitely needs to be resolved. Your code reader is merely reading PCM codes. You will need a high end professional scan tool to access the (TCM) Transmission Control Module to see what is in there.
+1
SNTHARRIS
Oh that's just great. Thanks for the information. I am calling them back first thing in the morning. Stay tuned.
SNTHARRIS
The mechanic said they were having to do a transmission overhaul. The selenoid pack needed to be replaced along with planetaries (sp?) Being cratered.
The solenoid pack (I think he is refering to shift solenoids) determine when the trans shifts gears. The planetary gears could have gone bad, but I'm not sure how the shift solenoids would have caused that. If they are bad, the trans wouldn't have worked properly if at all. Were you hearing any noise from the trans?
SNTHARRIS
No noises from tran at all. The check engine light had been on for a while. Then all of a sudden, safe mode. If the solenoid pack was the issue, then why couldn't it have been just that. Couldn't they just try that first without involving the trans? I'm clueless about this stuff, that's why I'm here.
EASTERN ONTARIO PAUL
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

As I am driving the engine is not changing gears, it is like driving in low gear. And then when putting into drive or reverse there is a banging sound. Any help is appreciated. Please & thanks
BMRFIXIT
Suspect tranny solenoids pack
need to have it scanned for codes

or cycle the ignition key on off on off on read P0000 codes in the odometer area

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic9_13.jpg

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had a death in the family.

As far as the trans, yes the TCM and solenoid pack can be checked before removing the transmission. As far as the check engine light, they should have been able to retrive a code from the computer identifying the problem. As far as the planatary gears, if they are bad, you should have heard them.

Again, sorry about the delay.