2001 Dodge Caravan Stall on highway in cold weather

FEMEL
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
I can be driving along, and the engine cut off. No jerks, nothing, I only know because acceleration doesn't work. After I coast to a stop, it takes about 2 min to start it back up. During this time, the engine does not turn over, nothing happens when I turn the key. Nothing. Then after about 2 minutes it just starts and goes on as if nothing was wrong, and may not happen for another month. It only happens in cold weather, I though -10C but today it happened at 1C first thing in the morning. A little scary on a highway on a curve, amazed I am still alive! I am in a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3L V6 engine not Grand Basic SE with many miles. Has done it since 2003 but it is now my darling daughter who is affected and so now it matters. Chrysler has not been able to replicate or fix the problem. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is mighty scary.
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 8:41 PM

It sounds like you loose all power. Do the lights or anything work when this happens? Have you checked for power at the source, the battery? Make sure terminals are clean and tight and not corroded.

Let me know.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:34 AM
FEMEL
I can put the emergency flashers on while I am waiting for it to start back up, so electrical is good, it is just the engine that will not start
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 4:47 PM
Have you been able to check to see if there is spark and fuel to the engine when this happens?
Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 7:19 AM
FEMEL
No, I am usually on a highway, my only thoughts are to get the hell out of the way and stay alive! To be perfectly acurate, I wouldn't know how to do this in any case.
Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 7:23 AM
I understand. Here are how to directions for testing both. All you will need is a fuel pressure gauge. Most parts stores will lend them to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

Let me know if you have questions.

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 10:43 AM
FEMEL
This should be done when it happens? Or can I do it anytime? This is a random event which nobody can duplicate and may not happen again for a day, or a week or if I am very lucky a couple of weeks. Depends on how cold it gets. Never happens during the summer.
Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 11:16 AM
It needs to be done when the problem occurs. That is when you will be able to identify if it is an electrical issue or fuel related.

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 7:09 AM