2001 Dodge Caravan Instrument panel wet out after replacing

DNVRLUV
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
  • 150 MILES
I replaced the battery today and while I was tighting down the heads my wrench hit a piece of the body and gave out a spark (very little spark) but when I started up my van I noticed my intrument panel wasnt working it dont show how many miles and the gauges dont work nor the turn signals Do you have any clue what is wrong I checked fuses under the hood and the all seem to be good please help!
Saturday, February 27th, 2010 AT 8:00 PM

GWOLKING
1. When reconnecting a battery, connect and tigthen the positive cable first. This lessens the chance of shorting out the positive terminal to ground as you tighten the negative cable. (A small spark is not unusual when you connect the negative cable to the battery -- parts of the electrical system are always "live" even when the key is off.)

2. It's *possible* that the transient caused when you shorted out the battery has made the computer (or the instrument module) "go stupid". Try disconnecting the *negative* battery cable *only* and letting it sit for at least 5 full minutes. Reconnect the negative cable *carefully*, cross your fingers, and hope it works. If not, my guess is that you've probably fried the instrument panel and it will have to be replaced.
Monday, March 1st, 2010 AT 1:45 AM