2001 DODGE CARAVAN IGNITION KEY WILL NOT TURN

• walthorvath
  • 2001 Dodge Caravan

2001 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 151000 miles

When I went 2 start the van the steering wheel was not locked and the key would not turn. I had 2 turn the wheel 180 degrees b4 it would lock. The key still will not turn. I turned the steering wheel a little 2 take off pressure and the key still will not turn. I have not had any previous problems with the key or ignition system.

Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 1:23 PM

• Jack42

I have repalced a few of those igniton assemblies for that. They break inside and wont allow the key to turn. Problem is that you need the key to turn to get the lock tumbler assembly out. So you may wind up getting a complete assembly and having two keys for your vehicle. This can be verified if you remove the switck/lock assembly and the steering wheel moves freely, but the assembly still wont turn when off the vehicle. These use security Torx bits to hold them on, so you will need to purchase the tools if you choose to try to do it yourself.

Sunday, February 21st, 2010 AT 8:08 AM