2001 Dodge Caravan Headlights

REPAIRDOG2
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
When turning on headlights right light works. Pull multi function switch for highbeams and right goes out, leftone lights. Pull again and getleft out right on.
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 5:36 PM

ZACKMAN
With a voltmeter or test light, test the headlight circuits.

1. Remove driver-side headlight socket from the headlight, and test the connector. My understanding is that at low beam, driver OFF passenger ON. At high beam, driver ON passenger OFF.
* (Test low beam) With the headlight switch at ON position, attach the positive probe to white/dark blue and the negative to black/light green wire. If you have voltage, replace the bulb.
* (Test high beam) Turn high beam ON. Positive probe to white/light green wire and negative to black/light green wire. You SHOULD have voltage.

2. Remove the passenger-side headlight socket from the headlight, and repeat test.
* (Test low beam) Headlight switch ON, attach positive probe to white/tan wire and negative probe to black/tan wire. Assuming my understanding, you SHOULD have voltage.
* (Test high beam) Turn the high beam on. Positive probe to white/gray wire and negative to black/tan wire. If you have voltage, replace the bulb.

Reason: Your headlight bulb contains 2 filaments, one for low and one for high beams. It just so happens that yours burned out the opposite way.

If you don't have voltage where you SHOULD HAVE HAD voltage, your headlight switch is defective.

Let us know.
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 9:23 PM
BMRFIXIT
You need two headlight bulbs
have them replaced
-2
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 9:23 PM