2001 Dodge Caravan Extreme high RPM on starting

SLACK1989
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
When starting on cold mornings (32 or below) the engine starts as if the gas pedal is held to floor without touching the pedal. Rpm's return to normal right away but engine sounds like something is going to fly apart right after starting. It is going to throw a belt or something. I am afraid to start it on cold mornings. Starts normal all other times. I suspect a sensor or idle control, but have no engine light. Can this be adjusted? The rpm's rev up to 4000 or more before it backs off. This can't be good.
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 8:18 AM

Too fast an idle speed. If an engine without computerized idle speed control is idling too fast and refuses to come down to a normal idle speed despite your best efforts to back off the carburetor idle speed screw or air bypass adjustment screw (fuel injection), air is getting past the throttle somewhere. Common leak paths include the carburetor and throttle body gaskets, carburetor insulator spacers, intake manifold gaskets, and of course, any of the engine's vacuum fittings, hoses and accessories. It is even possible that leaky O-rings around the fuel injectors are allowing air to leak past the seals. Another overlooked item can be a worn throttle shaft and a defective idle speed speed control motor/valve stuck in the extended (high idle speed) position/throttle position sensor. Also the throttle plate could be binding in its bore and kinked accelerator cable, coolant temperature sensor might not be operating properly misleading the computer that the engine is still cold and computer throwing fuel at it raising the idle speed
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 10:40 AM
SLACK1989
My idle is normal. On cold mornings, well below freezing, the engine goes to wide open throttle then drops to normal fast idle. Does this on it's own without touching gas. Going to throw a rod one of these days.
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 12:10 PM
The idle air control valve sends input signal to the computer so it can target the idle speed this is not happening-I recommend you clean it out and see what happens. If it continues replace it
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 12:13 PM