2001 Dodge Caravan eng revs to 2000, drops out, revs to 200

HAROLD HESS
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
Ini problem, oily overflow from rediator, small bubbles in water. Replaced head gasket. Drained fluid into a ijug- it was slippery like oily and black. Turns out the thermostat was bad and only opened 10%. The jug was setting for a few days, now it is pink with no slug or oil in it. It was a bear changing the head & all belts. Now the engine starts but will not rev up correctly. Checked all connectors.

What would be the symtons if the timing belt is off by 1 tooth?

Why was the antifreeze black and slippery, but now pink with no signs of oil in it?
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 9:29 AM

If you were one tooth off, the engine would miss and not want to run. Chances are it would also backfire. Also, as far as the coolant, the black oily substance could have been fuel mixed with a little oil that has evaporated.

Has the check engine light come on? Also, make sure the crank sensor connection is tight and clean. And, has the check engine light come on?
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 8:21 PM
HAROLD HESS
The check engine light operates normally. After a short drive it comes on.

How would oil an gas get into the antifreeze? I could not detect any damage to the old head gasket.
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 2:00 PM
Have you had the computer scanned to determine why the light is coming on? Most parts stores will do it for free. My guess is that there is a sensor problem causing this to happen.

As far as the oil / coolant / gas. It can come from a cracked or warped head, warped block, but usually a bad head gasket. Don't panic. Many times you can't tell where the gasket was leaking.
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 11:17 PM
HAROLD HESS
I disagree with the first reply to my original question.
I replaced a broken timing belt on a Chevette, that was assembled "off" by 1 tooth. Being off by 1 tooth alignment, the car started and would rev up ok. However, the car would only go 40 mph. I reset the itming belt by 1 tooth without the use of a timing light, because I was way out in the boonies on I70.
Then I was able to continue on my way to Ohio at the normal speed limit of 65MPH.

I was disappointed with your answere. Everything that was suggested was tried before I sent the question.

Therefore, I request my donation back. I was expecting more of a professional answere back.
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 9:41 PM