2000 Dodge Caravan Puttering in idle and reverse

RJJGABI
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
My van has been in the shop three times and they still have been unable to find the problem. After making sure the fuel pump was good, cleaning the fuel injectors, and running through the computer, now they tell me the only thing left to do is rebuild the engine. Here is the problem. When the van is in idle or reverse it starts puttering really bad. It had never stalled but it feels like it is going to. Sometimes I can feel it while driviing, also. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 7:01 PM

LEGITIMATE007
Is there an engine light on? Check the idle air control valve.
-1
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 7:21 PM
RJJGABI
No, the engine light has never been on. Can a do-it-yourselfer change the idle control valve or should I leave this up to the professionals. Thanks for such a prompt response
-1
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 7:35 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Yes you can, its right on the throttle body, there are some simple instructions that you can follow and thats all thats to it, I cannot, believe they are considering rebuilding the engine
-1
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 8:39 PM
RJJGABI
One more quick question. Will the engine light be on if it is the valve, or not all the time. Also, does one have to remove the throttle body or can yoiu replace the IAC in place. Once again thanks
-1
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 8:17 AM
LEGITIMATE007
Could go either way, may be on, may not. And yes you can change the iac without removing all of those components
-1
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 12:56 PM
RJJGABI
Thank you, you have been such a help. So basically all I need to do is remove the air resonator assembly and the throttle body will be there. Then I would unplug the IAC connector and then unbolt the IAC Valve. Then just replace it with a new one and hope that is the problem. Does that sound right or am I missing something.
-1
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 1:47 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Your iac is right where your throttle plate is, Im not sure if there is a "resonator"or not.
-1
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 8:43 PM
RJJGABI
If you don't mind, how is the IAC attached. To the throttle plate?
-1
Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 7:49 AM
LEGITIMATE007
There is a little bore that the iac sits in and is held by I believe two little screws
-1
Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 12:53 PM
RJJGABI
Thanks, you have been a great help. I am going to order the part an attempt to do this. Any last words of encoragement? I would leave you feedback but I do not have enough points.
-1
Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 7:57 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Well, just be patient, dont be nervous, its no big deal, and just follow instructions if there are any.
-1
Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 9:58 PM
RJJGABI
I just ordered the part and will be here tommorow. I will let you know if that was the problem. Thanks again.
-1
Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 8:08 AM
RJJGABI
I just changed the IAC valve and thought it was better. However, when I turned on the air conditioner the the hammering or puttering is really bad. So now that we ruled the IAC out do you have any other ideas? Could this problem all be tied into the air conditoner. I checked the refrigerant pressure and it is fine. I also used throttle body cleaner and cleaned out the throttle body which did not help.
-1
Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:49 PM
RJJGABI
I DONATED MORE MONEY AND STILL NO ANSWER TO MY QUESTION
-1
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 5:56 AM
LEGITIMATE007
Hey, are you saying when you turn the a/c on there is still a hammering or puttering? Where is this noise comming from?(What area) is it causing a rough idle?
-1
Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 6:21 AM