2000 Dodge Caravan engine overheating and mold in radiator

MURDOCTX
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160*** miles

My engine has been overheating and I have been losing water but there are no visible leaks. When I remove the radiator cap there is a pungent odor and you can see little white balls of mold growing inside the radiator. I checked the oil and it looks like it is supposed to(no discoloration or other signs of water on the dipstick).

Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 9:07 AM

JACK42

Check the water pump weep hole(bottom of water pump), sometimes the water pump will leak when the engine is running, but quit when it is shut off. If the weep hole is dry and there are no signs of leakage (stains), it may be a head gasket. To verify this you will need to have the cooling system chemical tested for the presence of exhaust gasses. The "mold" in theradiator is most likely the build up from old dexcool anti-freeze. Common if the cooling system isnt serviced at the manufacturers suggested intervals

Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 7:30 PM