2000 Dodge Caravan Engine Motor dies at 70 MPH

JOHN FERNANDEZ
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
I was driving at 70 mph on interstate and the engine began to stall it would try to start up but eventually it stalled and left me on the side of the road. I tried to start the motor it would start but would not stay on and continued to stall. My son came along in his truck we pushed the car to the nearest exit and left the car for about 3 hours. Came back and the car started up and the (engine light was on) I drove the car home about 20 miles and it ran fine. I took it too my mechanic and he said he did not know what the problem was since the car is now running fine. He turned off the engine light and it has been running fine, my concern is to take it on the interstate and have this happen again. What should I look for to repair. Could this be the fuel pump or a sensor going bad. Thanks, Jack
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 4:49 PM

DAVE H
Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

The fault could be caused by numerous things going bad .. a sensor/spark plug/plugwire/fuel pump/PCM and the list goes on and on .. when the check engine light was on and the tech read the codes this should have pinpointed where the fault lies ? do you know what code the cars computer was showing ? if not ask the tech who deleted the code .. without this code we are just guessing as to where the fault may be .. and could start replacing part without reason ... hope this helps .. let me know !!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_smiley4_17.png

Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 6:30 PM
DAVE H
Posted at Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 am
By John Fernandez, Have Donated
Give Feedback | Votes: 0

2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

This message is to Dave H.
In reference to the codes on the computer I got an answer from the readout of the code from an auto zone store before I took the car to my mechanic
The code said
Fuel trim bank one condition
Explanation
The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the Air/Fuel ratio of the engine. The coputer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank only.
Probale cause
If bank one and two codes set together suspect fuel pressure or MAF ( mass air flow) sensor
Oxygen sensor defective
ignition misfire- repair
Fuel injector problem
What should I do?
John Fernandez
************************************
Hey John.

Please could you use the reply button at the bottom of this post to reply or when you post in the future .. this way I am advised you have replied !! thanks.

First thing you need to do is remove and clean the MAP sensor using sensor cleaner from an autoparts store !! follow the directions on the container !!

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor (2.4L)On front of intake manifold.
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor (3.0L)On front of intake manifold.
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor (3.3L)On rear of intake manifold.
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor (3.8L)On rear of intake manifold.

also let me know if the vehicle still running good ? or has there been anymore fault's !!

Let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_289.png

Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 6:41 PM