2000 Dodge Caravan Dodge grand Caravan battery light and di

BALLSOFPAINT
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
2000 Dodge Caravan All Wheel Drive Automatic

Hello my 2000 dodge grand caravan. It started running funny while sitting in the driveway the battery light came on and the car died. I replaced the battery and the car started up but the battery light was still on. It had been making kind of a grinding noise by the belts. I don't know if it the alt or what? The serpentine belt had come off twice before but is intact and spinning fine but thats where the noise is coming from. Don't have money to take it in please help!
Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 AT 4:22 PM

The battery light means the charging system has a problem, not the battery. First of all, use a digital voltmeter to measure the voltage across the two battery terminals while the engine is running. It must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it is below 13.5, it will not fully charge the battery while driving.

If you do find low voltage, the most common cause is worn brushes inside the alternator. They can be replaced, in some cases without removing the alternator from the engine. Also check that the pulley is actually spinning. Since it was making noise, the bearings could be seized. Usually the belt won't last very long when this happens, and it could be related to the belt coming off.

Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 12:51 AM
BALLSOFPAINT
Thank you very much for your help! How would I tell if its the alt? The belt spins so could the bearings still be seized? Thank you!
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 12:59 AM