1999 Dodge Caravan frame mounted cooling fan relay

JNAGY
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN
My van overheated one day and I traced the problem to be the fan relay mounted on the frame under the air filter assembly. I replaced it and it worked fine for a while. Now I had to remove it again because the fans stopped working, come to find out the male end of the wiring harness is burnt on 2 contacts. I cleaned them as best I could but im not sure how long it will last. Is there a way to replace the plug end only or is this another problem that may have caused the first relay to go out. I did notice the wires to get WARM NOT HOT when the fans are running. But this may be normal, I dont know. Thanks for any help you can give
Thursday, May 15th, 2008 AT 10:25 AM

ZSTARCH
I had exactly the same thing on my 99 Caravan. First the relay went and the dealer replaced. Fortunately my relay shorted so the fan ran all the time so no overheating occurred. Then it quit again and the dealer found the socket was melted. I think either one of two things is happening;
1. The socket is under-designed for the current it must carry in the heated environment it is in and the contacts lose tension and arc.
Or
2. The socket gets damaged if the replacement relay is not seated properly in the socket. My dealer replaced the socket and charged me only for materials, no labor. So I think they know there is a problem here. Arcing in the socket would soon send heat up the metal contacts into the relay and destroy it.
Thursday, May 15th, 2008 AT 7:57 PM