1998 Dodge Caravan TRANNY

JC AUTO
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
I RECENTLY HAD MY TRANNY REBUILT IN MEXICO ABOUT 800 MILES ON MY RETURN TRIP TO USA I NOTICED A SLIGHT VIBRATION WHICH I THOUGHT WAS TIRE BALANCE. WHEN I GOT HOME HAD FRONT END CHECKED AND TIES BALANCED. STILL HAD VIBRATION. TOOK IT CHRSYLER GARAGE AND THEY NOTICED IT DIDNT LOOK LIKE THE PROPER FLUID IN TRANNY HAD IT FLUSHED REFILLED WITH PROPER CHSYLER FLUID.I NOTICED THE VIBRATION SEEMED TO BE GONE. IT DOES RETURN AT TIMES BETWEEN WHEN I REACH ABOUT 50-60 MILES PER HOUR. THEY SAID WRONG FLUID MIGHT HAVE DAMAGED TRANNY AND OR TORQUE CONVERTER.I WOULD JUST DRIVE AS IS BUT RETURNING TO MEXICO IN FALL DONT WANT ANOTHER PROBLEM.I DIDNT MENTION BUT TRANNY SHIFTS GREAT NO CODES SHOW UP.
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 12:36 PM

Hi JC AUTO. Welcome to the forum. Don't panic about the fluid. It's true the wrong fluid can cause unusual problems, but rarely permanent damage. The main symptom is a shudder or chatter during shifts from the clutch plates grabbing too hard. What is more likely is a worn inner cv joint housing causing the rollers to bind as the axle rotates and goes through angle changes. This typically shows up as a steering wheel shimmy. It can become more pronounced after the transmission is removed because the entire drivetrain can change position a little. That slight change puts the inner cv joint rollers in a different spot in the housings. They will bind a little when they reach the end of the worn spots. That causes them to push on the spindle and steering linkage. If the vibration goes away when coasting or cruising, you know it isn't tire-related. Binding cv joints show up more under light acceleration.

The wrong fluid can also cause a shudder when the torque converter locks up for better fuel mileage. It will unlock when you're off the gas pedal completely, such as when coasting down a hill, and will relock once you apply pedal pressure again. You can identify that by cruising at a steady speed on the highway over about 50 mph, then hold the gas pedal steady and use your left foot to tap the brake pedal. Engine speed will increase about 200 rpm for a couple of seconds, then go back down when the converter locks up. If you feel the shudder every time it locks up, suspect the wrong fluid was used.

Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 1:08 PM