1998 Dodge Caravan stalling

TOM AB
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
Car stalls frequently after startup and when stopping
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 7:59 AM

Has the check engine light come on? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Let me know.
Friday, June 4th, 2010 AT 1:05 PM
RUSTYFORD
Vacum leaks was checked first. Yes engine light constant always misfires. Is there a easy way to check timing belt?
Saturday, June 5th, 2010 AT 6:56 PM
If the vehicle runs good other than this problem, the timing is good. THe random misfire makes me question other things such as the crank sensor or fuel pressure. Have those things been checked?
Saturday, June 5th, 2010 AT 9:47 PM
RUSTYFORD
Oh heck no. It runs sluggish. With occasional backfire.I just purchased new belts, they are visibly worn, (cracked)If I remeber correctly, I beleive the tensioner pulley was changed last year. The smoke is blue, but seams to smoke less after oil change. Thanks Joe. Will post after belt change.
Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 11:00 AM
After the belts, consider doing a compression test to make sure it is good. If it is running slugish all the time, I suggest checking the catalytic converter. It could be partially plugged if you have been burning oil. Too much back pressure can cause these symptoms.

As far as the timing belt, you will need to remove the cover to check it. Also, based on which V6 you have, you may have a timing chain.

Let me know. Also, bad valve seals will produce blue smoke, but clean up after driving for some time unless the guides are really bad too.

Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 11:05 PM
RUSTYFORD
Hi Joe: It looks like some how I got mixed up with the guy who has the stalling problem? I'm the guy with mis fire. No matter, we both may have the same problem. Anyway.I changed belts & also splurged on a new tensioner. At first, on the first run. Ran great. Wasn't sluggesh. Second run 2 hrs. Later, same thing. You may have something. With the cat.I replaced the upsteam o2 a couple months ago. It tripped a code all winter.I just erased & ran fine. The only doubt I might have about the cat. Theory is the second downstream o2. It should of fouled up by now, no? Rusty Ford
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 6:29 AM
One would think so, however, the upstream is exposed to more heat and backpressure. Try disconnecting the converter to see if it runs better.
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 7:33 AM
RUSTYFORD
Unbeleivable.I guess I should of listened to the first trouble code. Misfire cyl.#4 Turns out #4 terminal on the cap corroded, arked and cracked the cap. Very small crack I never seen the first time I checked. That one crack caused mayhem. Duh. Will no better next time. Thanks for the tips. Oh ya. One last question. Since I purchased a new tensioner. It doesn't have a guide on the outer edge to stop from slipping off like my old one. Is it possible to un bolt the pulley on my old one & bolt the guide on my new one?That is all that Goodyear kit is right?
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 7:22 PM
That is good news. It was just a pain to find it. Regardless, I'm glad you found it.

As far as the pulley, if you are refering to the small flange on the end of the pulley, you don't need it. The new one will be fine. The belt won't come off.

Let us know if you have questions in the future.
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 1:32 PM
RUSTYFORD
Hey Joe:
Yes, the flange. Well obviously it unbolts, because you can change just the pulley.I'm kinda kickin myself now, because the new tensioner already looks misaligned. The old one wasn't.I could hear the bearing was shot, but it still looked straight.I don't understand.I paid 120 for that tensioner& they have a little note inside the box suggesting to buy the extra kit. Talk about a money grab. Shame on chrysler.I think I may as well leave it for now. Besides just getting at it was a royal pain.
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 6:53 PM
They are a pain. I can't believe it cost that much. Did you get it from a dealer? I don't know where you live, but I'm in PA. Around here they are in the area of 60.00.

WHat part of it looks missaligned? Also, if you could hear the bearing going bad in the old one, it would have eventually frozen up on you and cost you a belt and maybe a tow based on where you were. It's better that you replaced it.

Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 8:55 PM