1998 Dodge Caravan NO CRANK and NO INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

NUTS4BOLTS
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Will not turn over. None of the gauges work nor the odometer and gear range display. Starter relay underhood good and I can jump between B+ and output wire to solenoid and it cranks but still doesn't start. Relays were going crazy underhood. So, I decided to change PCM(USED), it cranked and died 3 times and now I'm back to NOTHING. When I hooked up PCM the battery was disconnect. HELP
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 11:38 AM

Hello, I'd make sure the battery has a full charge and the connections are all clean and tight. Any codes?

Did you check for voltage at the starter relay circuits? The voltage for the load side of relay is probably hot all the time. The voltage for the control side of relay goes hot with the key in the crank position. The control side of relay has to have voltage and ground or the relay won't energize. Low voltage will cause relays to click.
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 12:13 PM
DANAUTHIER
In Chrysler vans with multible unrelated system failures in a relitively short period of time, be sure to check the bottom side of the Power Distribution Module (fuse box) under the hood for signs of corrosion, heat damage, etc. I have never seen a TSB on this but have run into it on many occasions, as well as have two chrysler dealer service mangers that I work with regularly.
In every case I have had (after proper diagnosis) replacing the PDM with a new unit has corrcted the problem.
The symptom of the randomly firing relays is what makes me think this may be your problem, but be sure to check all your wiring(primarily to the PDM & PCM) and the ignition switch as well. A new PDM is not in the price range that I would recommend putting it in just to see.
Hpe this helps, let me know.
Dan
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 12:16 PM