1998 Dodge Caravan instrument panel not working!

MAYAROXBY
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
All my instruments went out, all fuses look ok. What could this be and how can I fix it?
Thanks!
Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 AT 11:31 AM

It could be a few things. First, check the easiest things. Make sure the plugs in the rear of the panel are tight and in good condition. Next, if all looks good, then you need to have the BCM tested.

NOTE: Have you checked the fuses under the dash and the ones in the power distribution box under the hood? I believe there is a 40amp fuse under the hood that takes care of the inst panel. Also, just to make sure I understand, the gauges stopped working and not just the lights. Correct? I worked on one yesterday that the right parking lights didn't work and none of the dash would light. I found a shorted wire to the right front signal / parking light and fixed it. Then the signals worked but no dash lights. After replacing a 15 amp fuse for the right parking lights, everything started working. Nothing is mentioned anywhere about the two circuits being tied together unless you spend an hour looking at schematics. And I still don't understand why there has to be 2 circuits (one for left and the other right) for the park lights. They don't make things easy.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 AT 1:44 PM
MAYAROXBY
Thanks! I will check. Or have my husband check!
Thank you!
Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 AT 2:19 PM
Let me know what you find. Also, most of the vans have a cover over the fuse panel under the dash. THere are two plastic clips / screws. Just turn them a 1/4 turn and the will come off.

Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 AT 9:37 PM