1997 Dodge Caravan stalling Intermittently

DAN4572
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 97 Grand Caravan ES with a 3.8l V6. The check engine light is on with a P1495 code. The code tripeed when the van stalls. It will stall at random times, AC/ or not, at any speed. When it stalls it will not communicate with the PCM at all. So I turn the key and will get nothing except lights on the dash. No engine, no starter, nothing. Then after a few minutes or hours it will start and drive perfectly.

Parts changed:
Purge Solenoid
Cam Sensor
Crank Sensor
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 7:11 PM

Have you checked the wiring harness to the PCM to make sure it is clean and tight?
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 10:40 PM
DAN4572
I have re seated the PCM wiring harnes and cleared the code. But I did not see tht the harnes was loose. I will monitor. I also noticed that the Smog check guy sold my wife a new gas cap that sits VERY tightly. I am wondering if this could cause the intermittent stalling as this was the only thing different on the car. Can a gas cap fitting too tightly cause this type of stalling? What about Throttle position sensor or the Map Sensor? Oh, by the way I also noticed a crack in the exhaust manifold. Can this cause a stall?

Thank you for all the help. I am trying to do as much as I can without spending a whole lot of money.
Sunday, August 29th, 2010 AT 1:00 PM
Of the items you listed, the only things that would cause a stall is the map sensor or throttle position sensor. As far as the gas cap, if it leaks fumes, that won't have an affect on the engine.
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 8:38 PM
DAN4572
Thank you for your knowledge. Since I cleared the code and have only driven the van locally, we have yet to duplicate the stall with no communication to anything.

Of the two possibilities, Map sensor and Throttle Position Sensor, which would most likely casue the stall, eliminate communication to the PCM for a while and throw the P1495 leak detection pump solenoid circuit trouble code. My thought was to try the TPS first then Map Sensor, but would like to hear your thoughts. As to the more likely culprit.

Thank you.
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 9:57 PM
I have to be honest. Neither would shut down communication to the PCM. As far as the stall, both can do it. The TPS is more likely to cause a problem when you touch the throttle. At an idle, the vehicle should go into a default mode and continue running. As far as the MAP, it could shut the engine at any throttle position.
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 7:11 AM
DAN4572
That is interesting. Now I am stumped. I will change the sensor, but I think that maybe I have a separate issue with regards to the communication between the Brain and the car. So the van stalls, fine. What would cause the lack of communication? Bad PCM? Bad ECM? Is it possible that the PCM/ECM is causing the stall and giving a false sensor error?
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 2:07 PM
Usually the problem isn't a bad PCM, but rather a bad connection within the wiring harness where it plugs into the PCM. I may have already asked this, but have you check the connection where the wiring harness plugs in to the PCM? I have seen corrosion, bent pins, or loose connections cause problems.

Let me know.

+1
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 8:14 PM