1997 Dodge Caravan shuts off

• 1 POST

Computer problem
1997 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

I have a 97 dodge caravan 2.4 liter. I had the waterpump replaced and when I got it back it was running really rough. It would die if I didn't give it gas. I have no other vehicle and drove it like this for about two weeks. It started shutting off while driving. My brother has changed the cam relay and the crank relay. He also changed the timing belt, which was a tooth off. It is stull turning off while driving but is not running rough. When I turn the key on you can hear the fuel pump turn on. What else can it be? The only codes that pop up are the timing belt skipped a tooth, and the battery has recently been disconnected.

Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 3:18 AM

Hi jenncg, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

What you need to do here to catch it when it dies do below immediately don't wait for nothing to determine if its fuel or spark problem-something has to give and comeback with some results

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, If you can hear the fuel pump come On- check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester designed for your fuel system to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pick-up strainer/fuel pump/pressure regulator and also listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light and see if it flashing, If you don't hear the fuel pump, check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay-Depends on what type ignition system is yours, No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply to your vehicle disregard it meaning if it doesn't come with one ignore it and continue testing

Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 6:03 AM