1997 Dodge Caravan Not going into Gear for first 10 minutes

BLISSBNA
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
My van will not go into first or second gear for the first 10 minutes of driving and will be fine the rest of the day after that. It started out about a month ago and only happened a few times and now is happening daily. I have to switch it to neutral and pump the gas while it revs up and then switch into drive and it will catch and I can drive. The problem is worse when turning corners. Any ideas?
Codes found are # 47 and Gear 2 ratio incorrect.
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 3:05 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Have you checked the Tranny Fluid to make sure it is full. I ask because you say it gets worse when you turn corners.

The Code 42 may be cause do to low fluid. Or it is a bad shift selenoid.

.
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 3:18 PM
BLISSBNA
Yes, I had the same idea about the fluids. We did a pan drop and new filter. Replaced fluids. It still is not working. Here are the codes I could not remember.

P1789 and p0700

Thanks for your response!
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 4:25 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok,

The Code P0700 is Transmission Control System Malfunction or the Transmission Computer.

The only thing so far I have been able to find on Code P1789 is OD/2-4 HYDRAULIC PRESSURE SWITCH CIRCUIT. Which could be just the Selenoid Pack.

But let me do some more research and I will get back to you.

.
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 8:43 PM
BLISSBNA
What is the Solenoid pack and can it be replaced without dropping the tranny?
There was a third code P0732 Gear 2 ratio incorrect. Do you know what that could be?
Also since there was a TCM malfunction code should I be looking in that direction?
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 9:04 PM
BLISSBNA
I forgot to mention that the "key dance" code I got was 45. I can't find a list of those anywhere.
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 9:08 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, the 45 code info I have says to replace the TCM (Tansmission Control Module)

Here are the 2 locations... Depending on Body Style...

FJ22 Body

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_97caravanTCMfj22body_1.jpg

NS Body

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_97caravanTCMnsBody_1.jpg

.
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 5:51 PM