1997 Dodge Caravan My car died while driving

TARYN125
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
I was driving down the highway and my van just shut off completely when I tried to start it it just cranks but wont fire up the guages were doing weird things like rpm and speed guages not working on occation but gas and cooling would. My wipers would sometimes not shut off and then eventually the passenger wiper just quit completly I replaced the coil pack and fuel filter and fuel pump and nothing when my husband checked the computer we found that the engine fuse keeps shorting out also we found that a ground wire was snapped it looked like a shoe lace we replaced that ground but I think that was a whole different ground. Can someone please help this vehicle is my only transportation and I use it to transport 2 small children and one is disabled please help i've tried machanic's but they keep telling me they dont know after I spend $100's then send me back to square 1 I really dont have alot of money to keep guessing
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 10:34 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok lets see what we can do some things are harder to do long distance then others so you may need to be patient ok. I need to know when it dies is it spark or fuel that is missing? As for the guages we will get to that later ok. THe ground wire that you replaced what did it go to? Do you have a digital multi meter you may need to do some tests. Get back to me with what you know and we will go from there. Thanks and have a great day.
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 10:44 AM
TARYN125
It only died once and never started again it seems like it's not getting spark it just keeps trying to start but wont fire up the ground that I replaced was gray and looked like a shoe string it's on the top left corner conects from the body under the windshield to the fender i'm not a machanic so I dont know what it's called also no I dont have a digital multi meter all I know is that it keeps blowing engine fuses from the main fuse box under the hood
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 11:01 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok that was a ground strap for the body to hood thats all nothing more so that should not have had anything to do with it. Now what I need you to do is pull a spark plug wire off and put a screw driver in the end of it just (a philips works best) and put it near metal and turn the engine over and see if there is spark or not ok. Get back to me with what you find. Thanks
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 10:36 PM
TARYN125
Ok I tried that and no it's not getting spark.
Friday, December 12th, 2008 AT 11:59 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok what you need to do it disconnect the connector to the coil and I need you to use a digital multi meter and check for voltage at the B poss term at the connector the wire to that on the connector will be Dk blue and Tan. Here is a pic of the connector ok. Then I need you to check resistance between term 3 and the B poss term the first should be battery voltage the second should be 2 ohms of resistance or more. Let me know what you find ok. Here is a pic of the connector.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_17.jpg

If this checks out ok then we will test the Auto Shutdown Relay ok. Thanks and let me know what you find.
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 9:00 AM