1997 Dodge Caravan misfire

• 1 POST

1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 126000 miles

Hi, my check engine light on my van says we have a port 4 misfire. We replaced all 6 spark plugs and wires and it continued to misfire. We the replaced the coil pack thinking that could be the problem. It has improved some but still isn't right. When we're driving, it sounds like the engine is backfiring (sounds almost like a shot gun) between 1500 and 2500 RPM. After that, it's fine. It also seems to chug when we get it around 50 MPH or so. Wondering, could the spark plugs have gotten damaged by the bad coil pack or is it probably a computer problem? I've also had people tell me it could be a lifter going bad or the catalytic converter. I don't know much of either of them though. Please help!

*** The fuel pump assembly was replaced about 2 months ago. There was also a compression test done and it came back fine.

Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 10:51 PM

I do not believe that the misfire code can come from any reasson except electrically,
or electronically. So if you have already put a new Mopar plug and wire, and it is lean or rich, pull out that plug, if you test compression and it is normal only the injector, or a cranksensor may cause this. You could switch two and see, as long as it is not low compression. Do you understand? Which one(engine)?

Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 11:14 PM