1997 Dodge Caravan Is it really my transmission?

CSLANE
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
We just fixed the gaskets on the transmission because they were leaking. I have been experiencing a skipping/jerking out of the blue when driving. Like the van hiccuped. When we were driving on the interstate Friday it was like the RPMs were up but it wouldn't go. Almost like it wasn't getting gas but I had a full tank and no engine lights were coming on. We barely made it off the interstate and into our driveway. Did the transmission knock off? The car is old and I know we have had problems with it lately. Do I invest in a new tranny or do I rebuild this one. I am trying to decide how to invest all the money it is gonna take to fix this if it really needs a new transmission.
Sunday, March 2nd, 2008 AT 8:38 AM

SERVICE WRITER
The caravans have had their share of tranny problems.
I assume you checked the fluid level as the symptoms fit a low fluid level condition. Damage may have already been done if so.

Check for codes in the bcm.

Not changing the filter and fluid on this can lead to an early demise. The fluid should look pink and clean. Only ATF +4 trans fluid should be used in these.
Monday, March 3rd, 2008 AT 5:50 AM