1997 Dodge Caravan engine cuts out during acceleration

MAURICE21
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
Engine starts and idols OK but with normal acceleration it "pops" or "chokes" out. It can however be driven with a very delicate increase in acceleration to get over the rough spot.

A code check of the computer puts up an O2 sensor #2. Could this be the problem? This problem materialized out of nowhere. Turned of the car after an average around town trip and it wouldn't start. Seemed to be fireing but wouldn't start. We trhen bypassed the air filter(disconnected the air filter and let full air be ingested) and it seemed to start easier. But still has the acceleration issue. Tried spraying throttle body cleaner in the Plenium, no change.

I am told it could be the map sensor or the part on the plenium? (Throttle body module)
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 10:51 AM

WINEBURGER
Hook a fuel pressure guage to it; start the van; release the fuel into a container; does the van try to die?
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 1:42 PM
MAURICE21
Winebrener,

Changed the O2 sensor (aft Cat) and air filter. Still has the cut out upon acceleration but its better. Occassionally it will stall or get stuck in the "choke" mode. (Ie: coughing) then it will come back. I am thinking fuel filter or throttle control valve.

What do you think? I will try the fuel pressure gage.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 3:38 PM
WINEBURGER
Also on dodge chrysler product through those years when you disconnect the battery you have to re learn the computer using a scan tool they will have weird drvability problems if you dont
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 3:48 PM
MAURICE21
Hey Wineburger, (Sorry I goofed your handle), Anyway, this auto parts guy is convinced its the map senosr. Says the Fuel issue is too much instead of not enough. Says from the sound of the starting problem when warm its getting flooded, Excessive cranking when warmed up and popping, at the ned of the cycle when it doesn't start. And that when accelerating it chokes out if applied to quickly. (If I baby it I can get it past the rough spot.) What are your thoughts on this? I am having trouble finging a rental fuel pressure tester but they only cost $40 so I may have to buy one if the MAP sensor doesn't do it. I'd appreciate you ideas on this added info.

Also, as for relearning the codes, I also tonight I took out the IACV and cleaned it it seems to be working fine when diagnosing it with A/C added and idol change. When I returned the IACV to the vehicle it did race then came right back into spec with idol and performed as before, Crappy.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 11:37 PM
WINEBURGER
Those actron scaners that autozone uses wont relearn the computer I use a snapon scanner and it has a place in it to reset all memory, if you disconected the battery recently I would try this first. I had a dodge product come in on more than one occasion that this was the fix. Simmular van came in it died when ward coming to a stop start up run eraticaly. Poor acceleration
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 8:12 AM
MAURICE21
I havn't had the battery out or have it dierecently. The OBD scanner I am using iis software a neighbor has on his computer. It reports fault codes in the computer and gives the ability to clear the codes. It also gives all the pertinent data like Fuel trims, O2 values, RPM, engine Temp, IMAP, etc. All these values are equal to the neighbors vehicle which is the same make/model just a 1996 but identical motor.

I don't know why you think I was using an Actron scanner from Autozone? However, I would like to try Relearn the computer or reset all memory as you say. I guess what I am asking is when I reset the codes is this what you are speaking of?
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 9:05 AM
WINEBURGER
No its called relearn not just reseting the codes. Or if you dont have enough fuel flow it will cause a simullarit to dye out on acceleration. With the scanner see if your o2 sensors lean way out when accelerating if they do I would suspect a fuel flow problem. Cloged fuel filter;cloged screen on bottom of fuel pump. Faulty fuel pump. Actrons what I use when I dont have anything else.
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 9:23 AM