1997 Dodge Caravan Dodge Caravan stops running sometimes

JEROEN
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
1997 Dodge Caravan Automatic

First I want to say that I'm from Belgium and my English isn't that good. I hope I can explain enough to give you an idea of what the problem is.

When I start driving the car there is no problem. The car accelerates very good, no shocking, etc. But when I want to slow down to turn, the car stops running from time to time so the problem doesn't occur constantly. The man who I bought the car from said it had to do something with the computer and he did reset it (he said) but the problem still happens. It might be because I'm not used to drive american automatic transmission cars (I'm pushing the brakes not hard enough or to hard) but personaly I think it is something mechanically. The car doesn't shock or anything like that, it just stops running.

When I looked under the hood to see if there was a lose cable I also checked the power distribution center. I noticed that one of the relays are missing: Automatic Transmission Controller Shutdown. I thought this may had something to do with this problem.

I hope some one can help me with this.

Kind regards,
Jeroen
Sunday, September 27th, 2009 AT 10:20 AM

CH112063
Although you can try installing another relay I believe an electronic scan tool can be plugged in to test and repair your van fairly easily, it is important to drive a safe van, and I don't want anyone to get into an accident. If it was because of a missing relay, the scan tool will pick it up electronically. It is your choice for repair facilities. If you see another mini-van like yours ask the owner where he has his van serviced. Ok good luck
Sunday, September 27th, 2009 AT 1:11 PM
BMRFIXIT
Pushing the brakes hard or not has nothing to do with it,
American made cars very comfortable drive and easy too
now do you have a check engine light on while driving and if so we need to find the codes
if no OBDII reader available to you, we can try and get the codes by cycling the ignition switch on off on off on read p codes in the odometer area if no codes DONE will appear
let us know what you have for codes
also you say it happens but not all the times try and notice if the amount of fuel in the tank makes any different
and if its happening when low on fuel start to suspect fuel pump issue
if not
check IAC valve, clean it and throttle body too
after it stalls does it start right back up or it take time for it to fire back up if it take time suspect ASD relay and or crank sensor

good luck
Sunday, September 27th, 2009 AT 1:35 PM
JEROEN
Sorry for the late reply but I tried to get the codes but I don't exactly understand what to do. Just turn the key to start so all electrical things work or do I have to start the car so the engine starts running?

I was driving the car today and the problem still is there. It occurs mostly when I have to slow down to let someone else pass by or when slowing down to 10-20 km/h. When getting to a full stop, the engine keeps on running (but it does some times stops).

To answer to the other questions
-The car starts immediatly when I try to start it when it hasn't moved for a couple of hours but when I try to start it a few minutes after I have turned of the engine, it sometimes has some difficulties restarting.
-I don't have a OBDII reader (I think, I don't really know what to look for)
-About the fuel, I bought the car with a nearly empty tank and it had that problem, I refilled it to a half-full tank and it still have the same problem.
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 5:58 AM
BMRFIXIT
Turn the key on (dont crank the engine )
so this is what to do turn key on off on off on off on
do it as you say it a code should appear in the odometer area where it say how many miles the van has on it
and if no codes or no more codes to displace will read donE
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 6:46 PM
JEROEN
Is it possible that instead of numbers in the odometer, you can hear a beeping sound to point the code? I don't see codes to be appearing in that area but I only hear beeping. I tried to do what you said, turn on, off, etc but the odometer doens't show codes or the word done.

Edit:
My father reminded me of something. He said the car dealer said he replaced something in the car because it didn't work normally. My father suspects this is the problem. I've uploaded a picture of the piece that has been replaced.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/414396_motor_1_1.jpg

I really appreciate the help you are offering!
Sunday, October 4th, 2009 AT 2:25 AM
CH112063
Hello, You are the fellow from Belgium? Man I watch how Belgium was so much in the middle of the great wars. All the area must be so beatiful to see in these times. Too bad there is not a highway across the ocean so we could all cross over. Looks like aidle speed motor called an AIS motor. Oh yes that will cause big problems if it doesnt operate properly on a high speed deceleration. No, I remember, you had a problem with stalling, or was it stuck in 2nd gear? Let me know I will check my posts a couple times a day. Busy season now.
You can use the key but not any audible for telling what is wrong in 1997. Iknow because in 1997 I worked for your manufacturer. They don't pay service mechanics to look for blinks and beeps to figure out what is wrong. Ok till 92, then it was a scan or experience to repair this simple problem. Tell me in exact words why you can not drive your van in a safe manner. In this country, a minivan that stalls is bad for you. That part can be removed, cleaned, then clean up the connections and bore of throttle body, reset the whole single system of fuel control. Please let me help you save some money and do it your self or have it fixed for your own good. I been ill and trying to fix electronic transaxles and fuel injection problems on your vans for well 84 was their first great year. Still doing it. Ok Mr. Jeroen. I am from the Austrian German area. I have 138 pieces of certifications for working with Chtusler products. I have every federal certification possible and required for any repair in my country for any car or light truck so I will not try to steer you wrong. Please forgive my lack of understanding this website. I am now understanding how easy it is to get all the info I need to help you.
Today I have time. And feel ok. Its slowing down. Maybe you will stop by, we will fix your van and drive around New Jersey. Lol. If you are stalling, the big three are responsible or another part. Your father had a idle control part replaced. If it is still stalling, like I say it could be repaired, but usually these services are performed when a part like in your picture is replaced. Cleaning the throttle blade and inner throat of the throttle body. That is the picture you have sent. The first step of the fuel system is your foot and the air. They are sensed and controlled. Ok so let me know if you need help. My name is Joe This website is the one of many that help. This is the best one I have seen. The people are into helping you. Your answers have been fine. You be exact. I or they will be exact. See you Mr. Jersoen. Still stalling? Problem? The scan tool is the best way. The key codes do work, for a tech, not a customer. Not in 1997 model year, not accurate enough.
OK for smart experienced technician, but it;s not recommended by Dodge or Chrysler. Now Fiat and Chrysler.
Sunday, October 4th, 2009 AT 1:52 PM
BMRFIXIT
No sounds
does the check engine light blink after cycling the key and if so you can count the blinks so let say if you have code #12 and code 55 it will blink once pose and blink twice pose blink 5 times pose 5 blinks
and so on
an OBDII reader can be helpful in your case,
the picture you had uploaded and pointing to an idle air
its the 1st to change when engine stall
I would suggest locking at the EGR system and check for vacuum leaks
Sunday, October 4th, 2009 AT 4:54 PM
JEROEN
Thanks for all the information! I need to wait for a friend who has a OBDII reader, he's busy as well for his work. As soon as I know what is wrong and what codes it will give, I'll reply.

But I noticed something that might add to this problem. If I start the car it runs smoothly, I shift it to D and still nothing happens. When I step a bit on the pedal so you can hear the motor better and than leave it just in neutral you can hear the car stutter at moments and eventually it stops running. It seems the car has difficulties to keep running in 1st gear and in idle. Maybe the part in the picture has something to do with it?

Regards,
Jeroen.
Monday, October 5th, 2009 AT 4:34 AM
CH112063
Good idea about getting an OBDII tester.
You let me know if you need help.
Monday, October 5th, 2009 AT 9:03 AM