1994 Dodge Caravan stalling

1994 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 49000 miles

eng. 3.3
Stalls when hot (normal running temp. ), During a turn, or slowing to a stop, sometimes when idling.
Stall is intermittent and unpredictable, at times no problem and then it may occur with repetition.
I have replaced fuel pump and filter, crankcase sensor, map sensor. Idle speed sensor, spark plug wiring. Checked wiring in general and vacuum lines.
I note comments re similar problems same model/year and wonder if there is a issue with one thing in particular?

Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 1:36 PM

Hi, no, there are quite a few things that go wrong with the 3.3L and in the shop I rarely see anything but vans that have problems. The cam and crankshaft sensors are used by the PCM to determine injector and coil drivers, the PCM, the VSS, the torque converter, shutdown relay, the engine wiring harness, also the 60 way connector at the PCM had problems. The first step is to read all the controllers for fault codes. You can try doing this, turn key on, off, on, off, on and watch the "check engine" light. It will flash, and sometimes a hard code will show up. The TPS or MAP sensor, it seems as if you have a short or open near the engine 10 pin connector where the harness feeds the engine. Try checking the codes. The crank sensor reads a notch in the torque converter and they had problems with the flex plate but you'll get a crank sensor code. If there is a problem with the ignition switch or security system this will happen also. Sorry but the codes are important. Without them you must move all the primary ignition wiring and sensor connectors to see if you can shut it off. Fuel pressure may be too low, they had problems with the rail and pressure regulator also. With injection it's sometimes hard to tell if its spark or fuel. Good luck. Fuse 15 is right out of the ign. Switch inside, try moving around the wiring under the steering column behind the fuses also. You understand why the codes are so important. The PCM gets power from a red/ wht wire that's fused in the power center, the area under this black power center next to the battery was a problem. The grounds for the PCM are on the left inner fender near the battery and theres another near the starter motor. I used to start tapping the sensors and moving the harness around. Check the codes first. There were no bulletins regarding any faults with the wiring on an S body. I checked.

Sunday, March 21st, 2010 AT 12:05 AM