1994 Dodge Caravan confused

Brakes problem
1994 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

hi my problem is this I just had the brakes done they work great now but my brake lite won't go off and also when I press the gas from a stopped possition it jolts froward almost like i'm pressing to hard or not use to the gas I just got the van yesterday at an action had the brakes done today but i'm worried about the jolting forward please help thx

Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 5:12 PM

First you need to find out why the light is on. You WILL have a red "Brake" light and you COULD have a yellow "Anti-Lock" light.

The red light will turn on for one of four reasons. Low brake fluid in the master cylinder, a leak in one of the two hydraulic systems, the parking brake is not fully released, or there's a problem in the anti-lock hydraulic system that will affect normal braking, typically loss of power assist.

Try pulling up on the parking brake pedal. If the light goes off, the cables could be rusted and sticking, or just out of adjustment. Your mechanic should have noticed the warning light when he went for a test drive. The test drive is an important part of any brake service. Take it back to the same shop. They will warranty their work even though you should be expected to pay for other additional work if it is needed.

If it's just low on brake fluid, let them add it. I've been reading too many posts where someone has added a petroleum product to the brake fluid by mistake. That is a very costly mistake because engine oil, transmission fluid, and power steering fluid will destroy all the rubber parts and seals in a brake hydraulic system. Repairs usually cost well over $1000.00.

Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 2:21 AM