1994 Dodge Caravan Big H2O leak on Passengers side plus no

OOUC
  • 1994 DODGE CARAVAN
My 3.8L was taking 3 or 4 times to turn the key before it would start. I left it running and came out to a big leak on passengers side. When filled with H2O it started immediately. But now I hear no starter action or clicks.

How can we quickly find out exactly where it is in the electrical system? It also has an add on CD player tied to a under dash fuse and this has a short that causes the battery to run down. The fully charged battery is a $100+ Interstate only 5 months old that only shows 13.13 when fully charged on a charger.

Will the trouble code tell us anything and how do we see it?

Only 1/2 gallon of water causes a rapid leak but how can we quickly locate the problem since I can only see it it at the bottom on the passenger's side? Someone else said he saw it dropping on the coil.
Friday, May 15th, 2009 AT 9:29 AM

ZACKMAN
***There is no easy way or short cut to find electrical short. But you know that the CD player is causing the battery to run down, then it is a part of your no-start problem. I would disable it until we get to the bottom of everything.

A fully-charged battery should only have about 12.6 volts. Automotive battery has 6 cells. Each cell produces 2.1 volts, so 6 makes 12.6 volts. But voltage has not much to do with starting the vehicle, amperage does. What you should do is to take the battery to an auto parts store and have them test the battery. They can tell you the life and amperage rating of the battery.***

***No. There won't be any trouble code for your problem.***

***You may have a leaking water pump. That coolant may have covered the crankshaft sensor and the PCM can't "see" the sensor operations. That is the other half of your no-start problem.

About someone saw the coolant dropping on the coil, that is not where your coil is.***
Saturday, May 16th, 2009 AT 1:08 AM