1993 Dodge Caravan overheating

TODDJOHNSON
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN
Other Category problem
1993 Dodge Caravan V6 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125 miles

I have replaced the thermostat today, waterpump 6 months ago, top radiator hose swells up, antifreez gos into resevoir tank, if you gun the engine it flows sometimes, heater hoses are not getting flow either, is it the water pump? You get heat for a second if u gun the engine, then the hose feels normal, then same issues start again, how can I tell also if the radiator is clogged or has a air pocket, no heat when hose is swelled up, does it sound like the waterpump, obviousl also coolant loss from this would cause no heat, help, I have been working on cars all my life
Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 AT 11:19 PM

Try this fill radiator to the brink, start it up do you see the coolant squirling around if so pinch the upper hose for a few secs and let go-do you see an increase in flow in the radiator-if not the pump is bad.
Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 AT 5:01 AM
Inbox : Message
From: toddjohnson
To: rasmataz
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:30 pm
Subject: 93 caravan Todd Johnson
Ive alredy tried pinching the hose on the 93 caravan, if u have the radiator cap off, it pukes antifreez out, idling its fine, driving it causes the up and down heat gauge and overflow into the overfill tank, Head gasket? I as you know have replaced cap, thermostat yesterday again
and pump 6months ago, would a lower pressure cap cause these issues? I am running a 10lb cap, have for 6 months, most likely pump or headgsket?

Get the tests done below and go higher rating on the cap

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.
Thursday, December 6th, 2007 AT 1:01 AM