1993 Dodge Caravan No heat

CORREAER
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN
My Caravan does not have any heat coming out of the vent. Only cold air. The rad has been flushed and it has a new thermostat. As an added piece of information, the coolant -- over a period of time drops but there is no sign of leaks under the van. Any ideas what to do to restore the heat.
Thursday, January 31st, 2008 AT 10:57 AM

LEGITIMATE007
Because your coolant was changed, you have to make sure that u bleed the system. Air pockets=no heat. Also have your engine coolant temperature sensor checked for faultiness, if bad, replace it.
Let me know the outcome.
Thursday, January 31st, 2008 AT 11:13 AM
CORREAER
What is the right way to bleed the system?
Thursday, January 31st, 2008 AT 11:25 AM
LEGITIMATE007
One way is to look on top of the coolant inlet cover where the thermostat goes, there is might be a little bleed screw in which you have to slightly open when the car is on and has reached operating temp. With the heater on full blast. The other is to take the coolant cap off before your start your car. Then you do the same thing as the other way and turn your heater on full blast and as the car reaches operating temp. Youll see the coolant bubbling and releasing air as this is happening. Youll notice that the coolant is getting slightly lower and that is when you add a little coolant at a time until you get to the correct level. Usually when it stops bubbling thats when all of the air has been purged. I have to caution you, if you don't really know what your doing you should have someone help you and wear the proper protection equipment so that u don't get scolded or splashed in your eye.
Thursday, January 31st, 2008 AT 1:55 PM
CORREAER
I have done what you suggested and there certainly was quite a lot of air bubbles. WOW. Unfortunately, I never got any heat from the heater. So I am not sure what my next step should be.
Thursday, January 31st, 2008 AT 8:22 PM