1993 Dodge Caravan 1993 Dodge Caravan Brake and ABS light

HINK424
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN
1993 Dodge Grand Caravan Brake and ABS light turns on when stepping on brake for about 2-3 seconds then turns off. While this happens the brake pedal slowly goes down a bit and you can hear a grunting noise under the hood. Appreciate any replys. Thank you,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/589849_DSC_0344_3.jpg

Scott
I made a donation once for this question but havent recieved any response.
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 1:19 PM

The noise you hear. Does it sound like the ABS turning on? Also, how far down does the brake pedal go when this happens? Does it get close to the floor?
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:37 AM
HINK424
Jacobandnickolas

Bless you heart for taking the time to answer my question. This is real frustrating for us because were needing to sell it to cover some of my dads funeral expenses. I'm not exactly sure what the ABS sounds like when it turns on. This will be lengthy but I want to deliver all the correct info to you. When I start it all the warning lights come on, including ABS, then go off like normal. In the park position, while stepping on the brake pedal, it goes down as if nothings wrong the it slowly goes down another inch. It is still far from going down to the floor. The sound It makes is a grunting sound that can also slightly be felt on the brake pedal. The sound stops and light go off after about 2 seconds when the pedal no longer goes down. It sounds like its coming from the front driver side wheel area under the vehicle. The ABS and brake light both come on during this sound then turns off, again in appx 2 seconds. While driving it, the warning lights do not come on however, I still feel "less" vibrating from the pedal and can slightly hear the sound. The brakes seem to work fine. The fluid level is ok. Hopefully this will give you a more accurate picture. On behalf of my entire family we thank you very much for your time.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:57 AM
Based on your description, it sounds like a bad master cylender. When you first press the brakes, the pedal stops and then it goes the additional amount make me feel like brake fluid is bypassing the plunger in the MC. If the ABS light stayed on, I would say there is a sensor problem, but something is making me lean toward the MC. That is the first thing to check.

Let me know.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:08 AM
I'm sorry. I wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about your father.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:08 AM