1989 Dodge Caravan 1989 carvan 2.5l tbi no spark

BOA
  • 1989 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 1989 dodge caravan 2.5l tbi van, and last night it just quit while driving down the road. So I had it towed home on a trailer.
i determined it wasn't getting any spark ( I checked the spark from the sparkplug wire to ground. And then from the coil to ground, and there was no spark). So I replaced the coil, and it is still the same. I also checked all of the fuses inside the van, and they were fine.
i am not so sure how to make sure it is getting the right power, or volts to the coil? Or if it could be something totally different?
any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 AT 11:56 AM

CH112063
See if the distributor turns when your cranking it, the timing belt may have broke, the rubber teeth get stripped. Also you can use your 'check engine' light to check for fault codes. You turn the key to on, off, on, off, on and wait, the check engine light will flash. A short flash followed by a pause and two flashes would be a 12. Each code number means something else. Also the fuse links are located under the hood, follow the battery positive cable as it travels towards the left strut you'll see a bunch of taped up fusible links, these are the engine compartments fuses. You'll need a 6-12 volt test light.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 AT 8:01 PM
BOA
I had put the question on earlier in the day, and later got a chance to check the van out some more. However I just now actually got time to sit, and rest from a long day. So I just got to see your reply.
I was tracking the no spark problem, and realized the rotor in the distributor wasn't turning (was looking at the pickup coil) so I took the 2 bolts off of the top belt cover, and seen it was broken (actually pulled it out easily). So it was the belt.
I wanted to take the time to thank you ch112063 for taking the time to reply. Your ideas were right on the money! Thanks again.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 AT 9:15 PM
CH112063
That is fine, I am just glad you didn't have to waste the time looking further the way I did when I first started working with Chrysler at a Dodge dealership. If you need any further advice, anytime. Your very welcome, its 2carpros idea, I just visit to see if I can help since most of my experience was with Chrysler and I owned many just like yours(2.2l though). Have a good day and good luck, the belt teeth get wiped out, it looks ok but the crankshaft sprocket just spins while the belt sits there. This is usually the way they come in.
Wednesday, March 17th, 2010 AT 8:58 PM