1987 Dodge Caravan backfiring upon startup

MYAK
  • 1987 DODGE CARAVAN
Hi, I have a 1987 Dodge Caravan 3.0liter V6 with 80000 miles on it. I have been having a problem with it for three months and no mechanic even dealer knows whats wrong with it. Upon starting it up the engine will start once it does, the van begins to backfire and make like a puffing and popping noise as it backfires from the exhaust and then turns off. The Dashboard computer reads loss of power. I have changed everything, from spark plugs, to spark plugs wires, rotor, rotor cap, O2 sensor, fuel filter, checked timing its good. Could it be the fuel pump? I am going to chage it soon. Please someone help. I do not know what to do with it. I've tried everything with minimum of luck.

Please help!
Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 4:51 AM

Inbox : Message
From: myak
To: rasmataz
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:57 am
Subject: Daewoo Lanos cranks but does not start
Hi there my name is Malik,
I have a 1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L. A week ago it began giving me some trouble starting up. Normally it would start up on the first click of the ignition. But, lately it hasn't only after the second or third sometimes. And when it does start, it would idle roughly. And then I realized it would start acting up while in Idle for instance at a stop light, rpm would drop to where the whole car shakes until it turns off. So I cleaned the Idle Controller and Throttle Body with some carberutor fluid and it seemed to help a little. I then had it scanned on the computer to look for any errors. Computer came out saying it needed a new CrankShaft Position Sensor along with a new Fuel Pump. The Shop ran the scan three times. I have not driven it since that day.
It has been sitting down for two days now. Today, I went to start it up and it would not start. I have been trying for three days to start it up and it would not start the engine cranks, but it would not turn on.

So, What do you recommend I do? Do I listen to the computer scan and change the Crankshaft position sensor and Fuel Pump, or do you have something else in mind?

I would appreciate a quick reply,
Malik
malek_kaleel@hotmail. Com

Inspect/Test the ASD relay located at frontof left shock tower.

Okay my way I'll start at the fuel system-I believe fuel comes before igntion in the combustion process.

Check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester and comeback with the readings-this is where we start. Your call
Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 5:10 AM