STARTING PROBLEM

1987 Dodge Aries

tator27tnt

July, 29, 2009 AT 8:11 PM

1987 Dodge Aries 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 91000 miles

I tried starting my car, it turns over fine, and it starts; but only for a second or two before it dies. As I continually try to start it, it always starts, but for a second or two before it dies. I've checked for spark by pulling the wire off the distributor cap and touching some metal. After turning the engine over for a few seconds, the result was it gets great spark. I've listened for the fuel pump pressurizing before starting the car, and I can hear it pressurizing just fine. I've asked several people and their conclusions are that the pump is pressurizing enough to initially start the car, but not enough pressure to keep it running. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated before I replace everything without knowing the true underlying cause.

July, 29, 2009 AT 8:14 PM

The fuel pump could be humming but is it producing the correct fuel pressure? Check the pressure with a fuel pressure gauge designed for your fuel system.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement