DIFFICULT STARTING. DRIVEABILITY ISSUES.

• nordster0
  • 1997 Jeep Cherokee

Can be hard starting. Takes multiple tries. When it starts, will be in one of several "personalities" or run modes. The most common two are: 1- Starts, will only idle,
no throttle response, sounds "labored". 2- Starts. When accelerating, will backfire through the air cleaner and hesitate/jerk, will only get up to 15-20 mph. If I quickly turn off/ on the keyswitch one or more times, it will find the correct run mode and run normally. One other "personality" or mode: When driving at speeds above 50 mph, will hesitate and jerk, not accelerate smoothly, will not stay at desired speed smoothly. I do not trust this vehicle to take very far from home. It has not left me stranded since I found the keyswitch on/off method of getting it to run for me. The complete distributor complete and the plugs/wires are new. The crankshaft position sensor is good. The keyswitch contact set is new.

Thanks, TL

Saturday, May 4th, 2013 AT 9:46 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Start with fuel pressure test.

How do you know the crank sensor is good?

Saturday, May 4th, 2013 AT 10:29 AM