Electrical shuts off while running

MELISSA HELM
  • 1986 DODGE RAM

While driving down road, it acts as if ignition key was turned off. Usually starts right back up, but sometimes has to sit awhile before it will start. Will not even light up dash lights when it quits running, acts as if no battery. Will not even click when key is turned until it sits awhile.

Monday, October 23rd, 2017 AT 6:12 PM

Since it does restart, there has to be a short or weak ground. Here is what I recommend you try. First, disconnect the battery starting with the ground. Inspect the battery terminals, making sure they are clean and in good condition. Next inspect the ground wire. The primary ground will go to the engine block. Remove it from the engine, inspect the wire, and clean and re-tighten it to the engine. Inspect the positive cable, making sure it is good, tight at the starter and alternator.

When you reinstall the battery terminals, start with the positive. Make sure both the terminals and battery post are clean and able to make good contact. Additionally, make sure the terminal is tight. Often times, they will crack from age and over use. The result, you can't properly tighten them.

Friday, October 27th, 2017 AT 8:33 PM
CATM007
  • 2003 DODGE RAM

I have a 2003 Dodge Truck RAM 1500 1/2 ton 4WD 4.7L SFI 8cyl we were driving down the road and everything shut off no electrical and engine I towed it home replace IOD fuse and un hooked battery for 10 min hoked it back up it strarted fine ran for 3 dayys in town no issues we deciced to go for a drive today about 3 miles from town it did it again I have spent the last 3 hours checking everything I could from fuses to ground cables what could it be?

Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 9:08 PM (Merged)

Start here have the alternator and battery load tested if okay-have the ignition switch checked/tested-let me know

CATM007

Would either one cause no electricial power to anything (cab lights 4 ways radio ect) do I need to take it to a shop to have the load tested?

Napa or Autozone could load test it for you free of charge-Double check all fusible links and miniature fuses-