Dies when shifting, or when trying to restart after driving in hot weather

BENJI808
  • 1986 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Good afternoon!
My Town Car typically starts, runs, and drives beautifully. Primary exception is that when shifting gears (normally from drive or reverse to drive or reverse), after I shift, if I do not give it a ~5 second pause before turning the wheel or taking my foot off the brake, the car will sometimes die. If I give it the ~5 second pause, it works beautifully and there is not a problem.

The other issue (possibly related, but I do not know), is that if the car is warm (and it seems like higher temperature and/or humidity makes it happen more often), and I turn it off and back on within ~5 minutes, when I turn it back on, the engine may rev very high, and then die immediately. If I press on the gas a little bit as I start, it does not die.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you!
Benjamin
Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 AT 12:32 PM

NOT KNOWING HOW YOU KEEP YOUR CAR UP

I WOULD SUGGEST "CATCHING UP" ON ALL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. A "FULL TUNE-UP", IF IT HASN'T BEEN DONE AS PRESCRIBED IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL OR A REPAIR MANUAL (SUCH AS CHILTONS)

MY ABOVE SUGGESTIONS WOULD KEEP SO MANY ON THE ROAD AND OUT OF A SHOP!

NEXT IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY FOR EVEN A WELL MAINTAINED VEHICLE, AS IT IS EXPECTED TO LAST A LONG TIME

THE "IDLE AIR CONTROL" (IAC), THIS PUPPY REGULATES AIR THAT BYPASSES THE THROTTLE PLATE. IN OTHER WORDS, THIS DEVICE IS LETTING IN "MORE" OR "LESS" LETS THE COMPUTER CONTROL YOUR IDLE SPEED, BY MOVING A PLUNGER INSIDE OF IT. (YOURS MAY BE GUMMED UP AND NOT RESPONDING AS FAST AS IT SHOULD)

TO KEEP MY HUNTING AND PECKING TO A MINIMUM, PLEASE SEE "MY ANSWER" IN THIS LINK. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A 3.0L V-6 IN THE LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/engine-trying-to-stall-at-stop

I WENT AHEAD AND FOUND A PIC OF YOURS, IT IS VERY SIMILAR

SEE THIS LINK

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-idle-air-control-valve-21762/3488683-P?searchTerm=iac

JUST CLEANING IT MAY BE THE ANSWER!

RETURN HERE WITH GOOD NEWS AND A GRIN!

Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 AT 3:34 PM
BENJI808
Thank you for the help! I do service it regularly, and have done quite a bit of work with professional mechanics to replace a lot of what is under the hood.

For the IAC, if I replace, is any adjustment required on my part, or if I just put the new one on, should it automatically "talk" to my car and figure out the appropriate idle speed?

Thank you again!
Benjamin
Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 AT 5:10 AM
MAYBE LIKE ME, YOU FIGURE THE PUPPY HAS WORKED A LONG TIME AND REPLACING IT WOULD BE GOOD "PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE"

THE "SMACK" MY PAL GAVE IT WITH THE WRENCH (CAUSE OUR ESCAPE WOULD ONLY IDLE HALF OF THE TIME) PRETTY MUCH VERIFIED "OUR" IAC WAS DEFINITELY THE ISSUE, WHEN IT STRAIGHTENED RIGHT UP (AT THE MOMENT)

CLEANING IT, ALSO VERIFIED THAT WAS THE PROBLEM

REPLACING IT WAS JUST MY CHOICE AT THE TIME, DIDN'T WANT THE WIFE STRANDED SOMEWHERE, WHEN $100 OR LESS COULD PREVENT IT LATER DOWN THE ROAD

I'M NOT TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO, BUT 2 BOLTS, A CONNECTOR, A $10 OR LESS CAN OF THROTTLE BODY CLEANER AND A TOOTHBRUSH MIGHT "VERIFY" WHETHER THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM FOR SURE (MAYBE YOU WON'T FEEL LIKE WHOOPING MY BUTT, IF I AM WRONG!)

USE THE REST OF THE CAN ON YOUR THROTTLE PLATE, HOLD THE LINKAGE OPEN AND CLEAN THE BACKSIDE OF THE PLATE TOO!

AS FAR AS REPLACING IT, IT'S ONE OF THOSE "PLUG AND PLAY" DEALS, NO ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED TO ANYTHING!

I HOPE IT'S AS SIMPLE FOR YOU AS IT WAS FOR ME!

RETURN WITH A GRIN!

Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 AT 6:57 PM