Diagnostic codes P0700, P0753, P0141, P1753, P1166

MISTY ZIPF
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD
I started having a slight problem with it shifting months ago and then it got really terrible stalling every time I came to a stop, we ended up buying a car with a blown motor the exact make and model for parts. My husband who is a decent mechanic changed the transmission, only to find that it still isn't shifting correctly. We attempted to swap the (ECU) computer that was under the carpet behind the radio, but then it would not start at all. We looked at the ECU and did not see any visual issues nothing looked burnt or broken and it did not smell like it had gotten hot? We attempted just to reset the ECU, but it did not seem to make much difference. It will shift into gear but you almost have to start at first and work your way up manually, but does well in D4 although the D4 light does not come on. Help me please! Any suggestions?
Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 AT 4:32 PM

KEN

Please clear all codes and then turn the ignition key to the "ON" position. The idea is there are too many codes to start looking at stuff, we want just the most prevalent ones so we can go from there.

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 AT 12:23 PM
STEVE W.
P0700 - Transmission control system Malfunction
P0753 - Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P1753 - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Malfunction
P0141 - Bank 1 Sensor 2 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction
P1166 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction

First thing I would check is the wiring harness around the engine for damage, either hitting the exhaust or rubbing through on a sharp corner. These codes all suggest an electrical problem rather than mechanical failure in the trans, especially as you can shift it manually.

As for swapping the ECUs, Most vehicles these days have some form of security system that will shut off the power to the engine, ignition or fuel pump if any part of the system don't match up. In your case the ECU is coded to the specific VIN of the vehicle. Unless you re-program the ECU to match that VIN the spare won't work.
+2
Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 AT 12:43 PM
KEN
Nice work Steve W :)
+1
Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 AT 1:07 PM
MISTY ZIPF
All codes cleared except the P0141 and it pops back on so I replaced the sensor but the code is still popping back up and the D4 light doesn't come on while driving?
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 3:21 PM
STEVE W.
Check the wiring and the power to the sensors heater. Broken wire to the heater in the sensor will cause this code.
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 9:30 PM