CRV stalling out when put into gear on cold start

NIKEGIRL26
  • 1999 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
My CRV recently is having stalling problems on 1st startup of the day. If I give it enough gas as soon as I put it into drive, I can usually keep it running, but not always. Once its stalled out, it has problems restarting (but always does restart). Yesterday while restarting, there was a loud screeching noise coming from the passenger side. The bf described it as a kazoo sound. Ti me, it sounded like a power steering screech, not a belt sound. Have done a tune up, replaced air filter, battery tested fine, and nit pulling any codes.
Saturday, November 30th, 2013 AT 6:53 AM

WRENCHTECH
First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.
+1
Saturday, November 30th, 2013 AT 7:22 AM