Crankshaft sensor

DONNIE AQUILINA
  • 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA
Eight months ago my car stalled when I was driving it. I pulled over and tried starting it. It took a while but eventually started. It went into a "safe" mode and would barely move (stays in fifth gear). I drove it home, checked the CEL code and it was the crankshaft sensor and one bank on my camshaft sensors. I changed them both out with aftermarket sensors and a month later, car wouldn't start. I had it towed to a shop this time and apparently it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor again. Had that replaced with OEM part from the dealer this time. Fast forward six months, I was just getting my oil changed (I normally do it myself but I wanted to pamper myself) and when they completed and parked the car, I got in to start it and it happened again! Car had no power but was able to move. I drove home slowly, parked it and one hour later when to try it again. Started no problem and went right into gear like nothing ever happened. Is there something else I could do to prevent this? Thank you for any information, Don
Monday, August 5th, 2019 AT 9:49 PM

SCWICKEDSTANG

The problem could be in the connector or the wires going to the Power-train Control Module (PCM) or "computer". In the diagrams down below I have included a wiring diagram of the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) circuit as well as guides on how to find unwanted resistance in a circuit using a method called voltage drop, which is the preferred method to use, and how to check for intermittent conditions, as well as how to properly check electrical connectors. These guides will require you to use a multi-meter, so I have also included this link for you to go to down below if you are unfamiliar with how to use one.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

Please go through these guides and get back to us with what you are able to find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
+1
Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 AT 12:24 AM