Cooling system

SILAS570
  • 2003 DODGE INTREPID
  • TURBO
I've replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, reservoir bottle, relays, fan relays, but the car still gets hot when idling. Does freeway fine runs below halfway in the thermostat reading. I'm lost.
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 12:24 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

The most likely cause is an air pocket inside the engine somewhere. Here is what I do in this situation.

Jack the car up so the the front of the engine is up (will help in getting air pocket out) with engine cold loosen radiator cap so pressure doesn't build, run vehicle till starts to warm up then (if has rpm gauge) rev engine to about 2k till about 3/4 or so of gauge. Turn vehicle off let sit for about 10 - 15 minutes refill radiator. Start vehicle let run to see if still overheats, if does repeat until it doesn't. Had one that took me 3 hours to clear many year ago.

Good Luck

Mark
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 12:39 PM
SILAS570
Hi - I did what you said I jack the car up took the radiator cap off filled with water flood the bleeder on front of the motor period started the car ran it at 2000 RPMs everything came boiling out of the reservoir. Do I just continue there's no or what should I do?
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 2:40 PM
SILAS570
I spoke to the phone so it came out wrong. I jacked the car up. Took cap off, bleeder opened bleed the system. Started the car, when temp got half way all the water came out of reservoir. So what should I do?
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 2:49 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Did you put cap back on to the first notch or left it off? If left off, refill and put cap back on just to first notch don't tighten completely.

Also did it do it immediately or once heated up?
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 2:49 PM
SILAS570
Okay I will notch it. No it did get hot instantly it heated normally.
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 2:53 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
OK, once it starts to over heat or the water starts boiling out turn car off. Let cool then refill and close everything up tight and run normally to see if over heats, if does repeat a couple more times. And check again to see if over heats.
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 3:01 PM
SILAS570
Never got past 1/2 on the temp gauge. But today I drive the car 40 miles on the freeway. Went back home and my wife took the car. She went less than a mile from home at a stop light and it went to 3/4 on the temp gauge while at the stop light. She pulled over and it started to cool off to the 1/2 point.
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 3:04 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one is the radiator fan working correctly?
Sunday, September 18th, 2016 AT 10:14 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Hi SILAS570,

Checking in to see if you were able to resolve the Cooling Problem

Mark
Tuesday, October 4th, 2016 AT 1:44 PM