Coolant loss

KMARTIN74
  • 2010 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I am losing coolant on a daily basis with no visible leaks, no smoke, or wet spots. I have replaced the reservoir cap, the water pump, and a week and a half ago, the head gasket. The shop that did the head gasket said it probably was just an air pocket but it has been a week and a half and about three hundred miles and stills disappears from overflow reservoir daily. I feel ripped off and am tapped out but this is my daughters transportation for my seven month old granddaughter and it is not paid off. Any advice would be very helpful.
Sunday, October 29th, 2017 AT 9:16 PM

KHLOW2008
If coolant is depleting, there must be a leak somewhere and one of the first procedure we do is to perform a cooling system pressure test.

This would enable us to detect pressure loss and also provide us a location of leaks. Some times when engine is cold, the pressure test might be good and at times when it is warmed up so you need to do both cold and warmed up engine test if it yields no results.

Look under the carpet in interior for signs of dampness which could mean a leak from the heater core.
-1
Sunday, October 29th, 2017 AT 10:23 PM
KMARTIN74
The mechanic that did the head gasket, did the pressure tests beforehand. No dampness inside or under the hood. As I have stated previously, no visible signs of where coolant is going.
Monday, October 30th, 2017 AT 3:57 AM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
About the only other possibility is the coolant is leaking or dripping onto something really hot, like the exhaust manifold and causing steam and evaporating away, but then again you would have probably noticed steam under the hood, but I suppose it is possibly maybe you have not, so check for steam and a sound like frying bacon once in awhile, whenever the coolant hits something hot.
+1
Monday, October 30th, 2017 AT 9:17 AM
KHLOW2008
When pressure test was performed, did the pressure drop indicating a leak? Was it performed with a cold or hot engine?

Leaks that are minor might take a long time to show a drop in pressure and sometimes you might not see anything indicating a leak.

Around areas of possible leaks, look for signs of accumulation of coolant residues (powdered residues). These most commonly occurs at hose joints, water pump, radiator ( by the way look at the drain cork closely) If there is a leak there, it would not leave any stains.

As I mentioned, if coolant is depleting, there must be a leak somewhere, only you have not been able to locate it yet.
+1
Monday, October 30th, 2017 AT 9:32 AM