COOLANT FOAMING FROM CAP OF RESERVOIR

1998 Honda Civic

viper007oc

Just a couple months ago, I noticed a strange white foam puddle forming under my '98 Honda Civic EX coupe. I checked under the hood to find foam bubbling out of the reservoir cap. While driving, no indicator lights are showing, and temperature reads normal. I have to constantly add distilled water to the reservoir. At the same time, the car seems to be either burning or losing a lot of oil. After 3 months from changing, less than 1 quart remains in the engine. Engine smells bad after just a few minutes of use. Could these be related or completely separate issue? How to fix?

caradiodoc

Sounds like you're describing one of the ways a cylinder head gasket can leak. Your mechanic can perform a chemical test at the radiator to confirm that. The test involves drawing air from the radiator through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially-filled with a special dark blue liquid while the engine is running. If combustion gases are present, the liquid will turn bright yellow.

IT'S POSSIBLE THAT YOU OVERHEATED THE ENGINE AND NOW HAVE A HEAD GASKET ISSUE

MR. OWNER'S MANUAL, IN MOST EVERY VEHICLE, FROM THE BEGINNING OF TIME, PRESCRIBES CHECKING YOUR OIL LEVEL AND COOLANT LEVEL, AT MINIMUM. WEEKLY

RUNNING YOUR ENGINE FOR, HOWEVER LONG, BELOW THE SAFE MARK, MAY HAVE CAUSED INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE

viper007oc

Thank you for your prompt response! I will attempt your ideas immediately.

Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Coolant Drain and Refill
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper