Clutch is periodically making a loud squealing when pedal is depressed.

JJAYFREI
  • 1987 FORD F-150
Less than one year ago I had the clutch, pressure plate, t/o and pilot replaced with new, heavy duty lifetime parts. Recently there is a loud squealing noise when clutch pedal is depressed. Is this the t/o bearing gone bad? If so, how?
Friday, January 23rd, 2015 AT 7:56 PM

IT REALLY IS SOUNDING AS IF THE THROWOUT BEARING MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM

I HAVE ALSO SEEN PRESSURE PLATES LOSE A BOLT OR TWO FROM THE FLYWHEEL, OR EVEN A PIVOT PIN ON ONE OF THE RELEASE LEVERS GETS LOOSE, AND THEN THOSE PIECES RUB THE BELL HOUSING, SOMETIMES CONSTANTLY, SOMETIMES ONLY WHEN THE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED

IF YOU SLOWLY AND BARELY APPLY PEDAL PRESSURE, DOES IT SOUND ROUGH OR SORTA BUILD UP TO THE SQUEAL YOU HEAR WHEN IT'S FULLY DEPRESSED?

AS YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW, IT'S MAN-MADE, IT COULDA FAILED ON DAY ONE, RIGHT OFF THE SHELF, AS OTHER PARTS DO SOMETIMES

OTHER FACTORS THAT SOMETIMES "EAT ON" A THROWOUT BEARING IS:

"RIDING" THE CLUTCH PEDAL WITH YOUR FOOT WHILE DRIVING AND

HAVING A PEDAL ADJUSTED "TOO HIGH" (THERE IS NO 1" OR SO FREE PEDAL AT THE TOP) BASICALLY, WHAT I'M SAYING IS THE PEDAL LINKAGE IS SO TIGHT, IT'S CONSTANTLY "RIDING" THE PEDAL FOR YOU, WITHOUT YOU TOUCHING IT

BOTH CASES MAKE THE BEARING SPIN CONSTANTLY, WHEN IT SHOULD BE WITHDRAWN AND IN A "REST POSITION" AND NOT TURNING UNTIL ITS NEEDED TO LIFT THE PRESSURE PLATE (FOR SHIFTING, ETC)

THEN WE HAVE THE EXTREME STUFF, I CALL IT "HELL DAMAGE", THIS IS WHERE YOU REALLY DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE, BURNING TIRES, DOWNSHIFTS FROM HIGH SPEEDS, ROCK CRAWLING, LENDING YOUR RIG TO "SOMEONE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT THEIR STUFF, MUCH LESS YOURS!" MY 1ST TWO CJ 5s (OF 6) WERE SUBJECTED TO THIS KINDA ABUSE FROM 1981-1984. THEN I SORTA WOKE UP AND SMELLED THE COFFEE!

I KNOW THIS ISN'T WHAT YOU ARE WANTING TO HEAR

LUCKILY, YOU HAVE A WARRANTY, BUT THAT DOESN'T EASE THE PAIN OF DISASSEMBLY AND REASSEMBLY

EXPLORATORY SURGERY IS PROBABLY THE NEXT STEP

KEEP US POSTED AS YOU PROGRESS

Friday, January 23rd, 2015 AT 9:01 PM